Information for youth

This information can help you as a kid keep yourself safe. Your body is special and it belongs only to you! Find out what you can do to keep safe by reading on.

What is child sexual abuse?

Sexual abuse is where someone touches you or makes you touch them in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable. It could be when someone older than you touches your penis/vagina (private parts) in a way that makes you feel uneasy.

It could also be when someone older than you makes you touch their penis/vagina (private parts), or when they show you sexual pictures or movies that make you feel uncomfortable.

If you are in immediate danger call the Police on 111.

What can you do about it?

There is lots that you can do about sexual abuse! To find out more about sexual abuse you can:

  • Get in touch with your nearest help agency, and ask for more information
  • Talk about it! Talk to your parents or your favourite teacher about what you could do if it happens
  • Ask your teacher to talk to the class about sexual abuse and what you can do about it

What can I do if this is happening to me?

There are laws to protect kids from sexual abuse. There are lots of things that you can do if someone is touching you in a way that makes you feel uncomfortable. One of the most powerful things you can do is tell an adult who you trust about what is happening.

Remember – if the person you tell first doesn’t do anything keep on telling until someone else does.

Who can you tell?

Sometimes it is hard to tell someone in your family if it is someone close to you that is touching you. The law protects you from sexual abuse from people in your family as well as from everyone else. It is not OK for someone in your family to touch you in a sexual way.

Here is a list of people you could tell:

  • Your mum
  • Your aunty
  • Your favourite teacher
  • Your health nurse
  • Your best friend’s mother
  • The social worker at your school
  • Somebody at any agency near you
  • Child Youth and Family Service (phone 0508 FAMILY/0508 326459)
  • School counsellor
  • Your doctor
  • The Police (phone 111)

Remember – you might need to tell more than one of these people if the first person you tell doesn’t do anything.

What happens if I tell?

The adults you tell should help by trying to make the abuse stop. Adults can call an agency in your area to find out what they can do about it. It is their job to protect you.

Here is an example of what would happen if you told Rape Prevention Education about someone who is currently sexually abusing you:

  • We will talk with you about your options
  • We will talk with you about who you feel comfortable us talking with about the abuse (if we need to talk to anyone at all)
  • We may ask you if we can talk to the social worker/counsellor at your school who will work with us to make the abuse stop
  • We only break confidence (tell someone about your abuse without your permission) if it is urgent and we think that you are now at risk from the abuse, if at all possible we will tell you before we speak to anyone else about it.

Safety on the Internet

Whatever you are searching for there’s a site on the internet for you. The bad news is that the Internet is not always safe. There can be sex offenders using the Net to make contact with young people. Often these people pretend to be kids and may try to make contact with you in chat rooms. Another reason why the Internet is not always safe is that there is illegal child pornography (sexual pictures of other children) on the Net. For these reasons it is important to find out how to play it safe on the internet. For guidelines to safe while you’re surfing, check out our page keeping safe on the net.